Pranayama – Sama Vritti Pranayama, its benefits and steps to perform
Sama Vritti is a very simple pranayama, but the benefits it renders are great.
Benefits of sama vritti pranayama is completely relating the Mind and the nerves, it is very effective to Calm the body by stimulating the parasympathetic nervous system. Helps focus the mind, relives from stress and increases the will power.
How to perform:
1. Come to sit in a comfortable, cross-legged position such as easy pose, taking padding under your seat as necessary. If sitting on the floor isn’t possible, lie on your back or sit in a chair.
2. Close your eyes and begin to notice your natural breath, not changing anything at first. Give yourself a good five breaths or so.
3. Begin to slowly count to four as you inhale. Take a moment at the top of your inhale with the lungs full of air. Then also count to four as you exhale. Again take a moment to feel empty. Then inhale again to another count of four. Continue this pattern. The exercise is to match the lengths of your inhales and exhales.
4. You may experiment with changing the number you count to, just make sure your inhale and exhale stay the same length.
5. Continue breathing this way for several minutes.
As this is one of the simple pranayama, that can be done based on your comfort no precaution is required.