Ayurveda – Vidanga Herb, Benefits and its medical importance
Based on principles of Ayurveda Vidanga is light to digest and dries up the excess moistness. It is hot in potency and increases the metabolism. Vidanga belongs to Myrsinaceae Family and it is called Embelia Ribes scientifically. Vidanga is one of the powerful anti-parasitic herbs of Ayurveda. It is widely used against intestinal worm infestation. Its botanical name is Embelia ribes. It is called False black pepper., because it mimics pepper in appearance.
Properties of Vidanga:
Based on the study of this herb according to the Ayurvedic research the properties of Vidanga are:
Guna (Specific Action): Laghu (light), Ruksha (dry), Teekshna (sharp action)
Rasa (Taste): Katu (Pungent), Kashaya (Astringent)
Vipaka (After Taste): Katu (Pungent)
Virya (Potency): Ushna (Hot Potency)
Prabhava (Exceptional action of the drug): Krimighna (acts against and destroys a variety of microorganisms).
Actions On Tridosha: Vitiates Kapha And Vata Doshas.
This herb is very effective for weight loss
other than this this herb also has other different uses:
1) Of all the herbs used in treating worm infestation, Vidanga is the best.
2) Sara – eases the movement of contents in the intestinal track.
3) Krumihara – useful in worm infestation
4) Krumikushta – useful in infective skin diseases
5) Pramehahara – useful in diabetes
6) Shirorogahara – useful in headache
7) Vahnikara – improves appetite
8) Shulahara – useful in abdominal colic pain
9) Adhmanahara – relieves bloating
10) Udarahara – useful in abdominal distension, ascites
11) Shleshma Krumihara – useful in worm infestation of Kapha origin
12) Vatahara – Balances Vata
13) Vibandhanut – relieves constipation
14) Artinut – relieves pain
15) Agnimandyahara – relieves indigestion, weak digestion
16) Aruchihara – relieves anorexia
17) Vibhrantihara –relieves dizziness
18)Shirovirechana – expelling Doshas out of the body from head. Hence used as ingredient in many nasal drops and Nasya oils like Anu tail and Shadbindu Tail.
Usually when medicine is given for de-worming the intestines, it is associated with another laxative ingredient so as to ease the dead worms out of the intestines. But while administering Embelia ribes for the purpose of de-worming, an extra laxative is not required because Vidanga itself is a mild laxative.
The word Krumighna does not suggest only towards intestinal worm. The word meaning also encompasses microbial infection as well. Hence Vidanga is an essential ingredient in many anti-microbial medicines like Sanjivani Vati and Panchanimbadi Vati.
It detoxifies blood, hence useful in wide range of skin diseases.
It has contraceptive effect, along with Pippali (long pepper)
It improves skin complexion and also used for rejuvenation purpose.
Its water decoction is used for oil pulling to relieve dental caries and bad breath
In skin diseases, it is used both orally and externally in the form of paste. Hence it is used in skin pastes like Pathyadi Lepa
It has mild diuretic action. Hence used in dysuria.
It is useful against vomiting, bloating, indigestion, gastritis and constipation.
It is widely used in weight loss treatment. Hence ingredient of many medicines like Amrutadi Guggulu
Very important and highlighted Benefits of Vidanga
1) Vidanga for weight loss: It is a very important fat burner and a potent weight loss herb. It boosts metabolism and dries up moist content of fat cells. Increased metabolism uses up the stored fat of body. According to Ayurveda fat cells are dependent on Kapah dosha. When kapha dosha gets vitiated the fat cells increase. Vidanga normalises kapaha dosha and reduces volume of fat cells in obese people thus aiding the weight loss. This herb increases urine output helps to reduce water retention.
We have used this herb in our research and formulated a very unique product – Weight Redox Tea
2) When used internally in skin diseases it purifies blood and acts on lymph. It reduces inflammation from inside and helps to eliminate skin diseases like acne, pimple, psoriasis, eczema etc. It increases the glow and radiance of skin from inside. acne and pimple which contain this herb.
3) This herb helps to relieve constipation. When consumed in form of tea it helps in emptying of bowel. It normalises agni and prevents indigestion. Vidanga sets right digestion and prevents constipation.
4) In piles: Since it effectively controls agni and helps in constipation, this herb is widely used in treating piles or haemorrhoids. It increases the motility of intestines and eases the bowelevacuation.
5) In intestinal parasites: this herb is known for its anti-helminthic properties. By regularly using this herb one can get rid of intestinal parasites.
6) Vidanga is used in all types of worms ,internally and externally .externally if in skin any worms are seen the solution is use externally and internally daily
7) Used as rasayana- vidanga and yasthi madhu taken in equal quantity with water , with strict diet as kichadhi two times only ,it will help in removing all the worms ,helps in improving digestion,concentration and increases strength.
8) Vidanga and pippali equal quantity a pinch used as nasya in migrane