Ushira also known as Khuskhus Grass; or Vetiveria zizanioides is among the best Ayurveda herbs useful for pacifying the Pitta Dosha. It is just like nectar in summer season as it alleviates all the health issues related to the summer season. DRUG VERNACULAR NAMES: Names in different languages: Properties: MEDICINAL USES: BENEFITS: Home Remedies:
Ayurveda – Usheera and its medical importance
A perennial aromatic grass grows up to 2 meter in height. Leaves narrow, linear, erect; spikelets grey in a panicle of numerous racemes, fruits oblong grains.
Botanical Name – Vetiveria zizanioides (Linn) Nash.
Synonyms: Chrysopogon zizanioides
Hindi Name- Khas
English name – khas khas grass, Kus Kus grass, Vetiver
Kannada name – Lavancha
Telugu name – Vattivellu
Bangali name – Khaskhas, Venaghas
Marathi name – Vala
Gujarati name – Valo
Tamil name – Vettiver, Vetivera
Malayalam name – ramacham
Tonic and vulnerary.
Medicinal qualities of Usheer can help in many health related issues. Usheer is useful for strengthening of bones, the treatment of rheumatism, gout, arthritis, muscle aches, dryness, cramps and dry skin.
Usheer(Khus khus) is a boon for farmers in warm climates, as it prevents soil erosion. As the plant grows exclusively downward, it helps to block the runoff of surface water and conserves soil. Hence, it is used to create boundaries for rice paddies.
• The fragrant essential oil obtained from the plant root is quite famous throughout the world. It is used in high-end perfumes, for its fixative properties.
• The mats made from khus khus plant are hung in the house, to cool rooms during summer. Moreover, they even add a pleasant aroma in the house, when sprinkled with water occasionally.
• The herb is tied in a muslin cloth and added to the earthen pots filled with water, to lend its distinctive flavor and aroma to it.
• It has anti-inflammatory and antiseptic effects that provide relief from inflammations in circulatory system and nervous system.
• Khus khus is used to create a tonic bath, which is the reason why it is often included in high quality soaps. In addition, it finds an application in combat lice as well.
• It is a boon for individuals suffering from rheumatism, arthritis, gout, muscular aches, dryness and cracking of skin etc.
• The oil obtained from khus khus has sedative effect and aids in the treatment of emotional outbursts, such as anger, anxiety, epileptic and hysteric attacks, restlessness, nervousness, etc.
A) The cold infusion with sugar imparts a diuretic action and alleviates dysuria.
B) The cold infusion or decoction of usheera and patha is commonly recommended in treating fever.
Ushira also known as Khuskhus Grass; or Vetiveria zizanioides is among the best Ayurveda herbs useful for pacifying the Pitta Dosha. It is just like nectar in summer season as it alleviates all the health issues related to the summer season.
DRUG VERNACULAR NAMES:
Names in different languages: