Nirgundi, commonly known as the Chinese chastetree, five-leaved chaste tree, or horseshoe vitex, is a large aromatic shrub with quadrangular, densely whitish, tomentose branchlets. It is widely used in folk medicine, particularly in South and Southeast Asia. This herb has various medical uses according to Ayurveda. Let us see details of the herb in detail. Varnacular Name: Uses: Properties: Health issues which Nirgundi herb can help to cure
Ayurveda – Nirgundi herb and its medical importance.
Botanical Name- Vitex Negundo Linn.
Family- VERBINACEAE (Nirgundi Kula)
Hindi Name- Sambhalu, mewri, Nisinda, Sawbhalu
Telugu Name- indhuvara; Vavili; Nalla-vavili; Tella-vavili, Lekkali
Tamil Name-Chinduvaram; Nirnochchi; Nochchi; Notchi; Vellai-nochchi
Bengali Name- Nirgundi; Nishinda; Samalu
English – Five Leaved Chaste
Filipino – Lagundi
Assamese – Pochotia
Chinese name – Huang jing
Kannada name – Bile-nekki, Lakki soppu, Lakki gida, Lekki gida
Punjabi name – Banna; Marwan; Maura; Mawa; Swanjan Torbanna
1) The leave is made into paste, heated a little and applied externally to relieve headache, orchitis (swelling in testicles), rheumatoid and osteo arthritis.
2) Water decoction of Nirgundi is used for vaginal douche to relieve local inflammation
3) Water decoction is used for mouth gargling to relieve throat pain and oral ulcers.
4) The dry leaves are burnt and fumes are inhaled to relieve headache and running nose.
5) Its oil is prepared with sesame oil and used in wound healing and grey hairs.
1) It basically acts as an analgesic and extremely useful for conditions associated with spleen, liver and thyroid.
2) Other traditional uses are to treat various skin ailments like vitiligo, leucoderma and leprosy, eye diseases, biliousness, intestinal worms, children arthritis and nervous disorders.
3) It is useful to treat number of female ailments such as amenorrhea, menopause, menorrhagia, menstrual difficulties, leucorrhoea, yeast infection, bacterial vaginosis and premenstrual syndrome.
4) Various types of arthritis, ulcers, sciatica and pain can be effectively treated with Nirgundi.
5) It is a panacea solution in vast range of respiratory diseases like cough, asthma, bronchitis and pleura inflammatory conditions, spondylitis and ascites.
6) Being diuretic it facilitates the micturition.
7) It is also useful in treating dysuria and anuria.
8) It helps in smooth urination during gonorrhoeal infections.
9) Nirgundi is very useful herb in morbid conditions of vata like epilepsy, insomnia and vertigo since it works as a brain tonic.
10) It is most useful for inflammatory conditions like tonsillitis, endometriosis and orchitis.
11) It has anti-convulsant, antioxidant, and bronchial relaxant and hepatoprotective activities.
12) Nirgundi is best analgesic, anti-inflammatory, antibacterial.
13) Nirgundi is used for cleaning and healing wounds.
14) Nirgundi is also used as a hair tonic.
15) Nirgundi leaves after heated are tied over the affected part in headache, scrotal swelling, arthritic pain.
16) Decoction prepared form Nirgundi leave powder is used for tub bath in endometritis, colitis and orchitis, in these conditions it reduces the obstruction of blood and amakapha, increases perspiration, reduces oedema and also relieves pain.
17) Gargles with decoction of Nirgundi leaves powder are useful in pharyngitis, stomatitis, difficulty in deglutition and inflammation.
18) Nirgundi is an analgesic, brain tonic and alleviates vata, therefore useful in headache, sciatica, rheumatic arthritis, synovitis, improves memory.
19) Nirgundi improves appetite and digestion. It is useful in loss of appetite, anorexia, ama-dosha, hepatitis and is anthelmintic.
20) Nirgundi improves blood circulation process.
21) Nirgundi improves ventilation therefore used in Kapha dominant cough, asthma, pneumonia and pleurisy.
22) Nirgundi useful in dysuria and anuria. In gonorrhoeal infection it helps in passing urine smoothly.
23) Nirgundi improves menstrual flow therefore used in dysmenorrhoea and obstetric conditions.
24) Nirgundi is used as a anupan or a main drug in typhoid and malaria fever.
25) Nirgundi is stimulated every part of the body, therefore it acts as a rasayan in body.
26) The oil is used to treat sinus conditions, wounds, ulcers, syphilis, and skin disease.
27) In strengthening hair, reduce swelling and nausea, Helps curing swollen joints and its pain. Use for eyes.
Nirgundi, commonly known as the Chinese chastetree, five-leaved chaste tree, or horseshoe vitex, is a large aromatic shrub with quadrangular, densely whitish, tomentose branchlets. It is widely used in folk medicine, particularly in South and Southeast Asia. This herb has various medical uses according to Ayurveda. Let us see details of the herb in detail.
Properties: Health issues which Nirgundi herb can help to cure