Pranayama – Agnisar – How to perform, benefits and its precautions.
Agnisar pranayama increases the internal energy and gives vitality. Those who are suffering with constipation, indigestion and loss of appetite they should get good benefits with its regular practice. People with excessive fat on the stomach should practice it regularly to reduce the fat. This pranayama overcomes laziness, disinterest and strengthens the internal organs, muscles, nerves and blood veins. People suffering with lung problems can gain a lot. This pranayama cures asthma, tuberculosis and other serious diseases. It also cures the entire throat related problems and old kapha problems. It cures sleepiness and circulates inner energy.
How to perform:
1. Sit in Padmasana and keep the hands on the knees in a comfortable position. Close the eyes slightly and concentrate on the mind with normal breathing.
2. Exhale slow, deep and stable breathe. Stop the breathe outside, i.e., do Bahirmukh. Stretch both the hands straight and keep them on the knees with slight pressure. Contract and expand the stomach. Try to touch the navel deep inside the stomach.
3. Keep the stomach and hands normal before doing poorak i.e., inhale. Now take deep, stable and slow breathe.
4. This is one cycle of Agnisar pranayama. In one cycle contract and expand the stomach at least ten times. Increase the number to 30. In the beginning practice it for 5 times and then slowly increase is it up to 15 cycles. During winters you can practice it for 25 cycles. Breathe normally, rest for sometime and then do shavasana.
1. This pranayama should be done in the morning hours after passing bowels and getting free from the morning chores. Those who want to practice it in the evening should do after four hours of having meals.
2. During winters, Agnisar pranayama should be done as per the procedures. This is the best time for this pranayam. During summers after doing this pranayama ten rounds of Shitali pranayama should be definitely practiced.
3. During the practice period the person should eat simple, pure food. Avoid eating heavy, oily, fried and non- vegetarian food. Smoking and alcohol should be completely avoided.
4. The patients of intestinal problems, hernia, high blood pressure and other diseases should not practice it.
5. If you have undergone stomach operation recently then this pranayama should not be practiced. It should be done under the guidance of some yoga expert after few months.
6. Stop the practice immediately if you experience tiredness and practice it the other day.
7. Practice it according to your physical capacity. Do not do kumbhak in excess of your body capacity. Make sure that during Bahirkumbhak slightest air should not get inside.
8. Patients suffering with ear, nose and eye problems should not practice agnisar pranayama.